Friday, February 28, 2014

The Best Beef Stew: Altered from "Crock Pot Best Loved Slow Cooker Recipes"

Here's the book the stew recipe is from:
Crock-Pot Best-Loved Slow Cooker Recipes



I have altered the amount of meat in this recipe. The original called for 3 lbs of stew meat in standard size and 1lb smoked sausage sliced. I've found that dicing the reduced amount of meat still have meat in every bite but it's much more manageable.

The Best Beef Stew:
1/3 cup flour + 2 tablespoons divided
2 tsp Salt
2 tsp pepper
1 lb beef stew meet diced (I use med-rare cooked roast which I freeze in 1lb ziploc bags alread diced)
1 can (15-16 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
3 red potatoes (I've used yellow too) peeled and diced
1/2 smoked sausage (I used turkey smoked kilbasa)
1 cup chopped leek (I used 1-2 leeks, whatever looks good) 
1 cup chopped onion (I used 1 medium and didnt measure)
4 sticks celery diced
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp dried thyme
3 TBS water

1. Combine 1/2 cup flour, salt & pepper in bag. Shake meet to cover. Dump in Crock.
2.Add remaining ingredients except 2TBS flour and the water. Stir. Cover. Cook on low 8-12 hours or on high 4-6 hours. 
3. One hour before serving turn to high. Combine 2 TBS flour and cold water (I shake it well in a plastic container). Add to crock and stir into stew. 

I serve with Beer Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment