1 lb lean ground beef
1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
3 cups shredded lettuce
1 large tomatoes, sliced or diced
1 red onion, thinly sliced.
- If needed: prepare and refrigerate Tzatziki Sauce
- Add beef and spices to a food processor or stand mixer and process until a fine paste is formed into a ball, approximately 1-3 minutes. Stop the processor as needed to scrape down sides of bowl.
- Press into a loaf pan and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes - or as my lovely and talented friend Julie suggested: form a loaf and bake on a broiling pan to skip step 4.
- Remove from pan immediately and allow excess juices to drain off (onto paper towels or from a cooling rack)
- Beginning on the bottom, thinly slice meat.
- (Optional: place sliced meat under the broiler until extra browning occurs)
- Serve on pita bread (or tortillas) with lettuce, onion, tomato and Tzatziki Sauce