Sunday, November 23, 2014
Creamy Southwestern Pumpkin and Sausage Soup - DAIRY FREE
This is by far my most popular pumpkin recipe to date.
1 lb sweet Italian sausages
1 small onion - finely diced
1 jalepeño pepper - de-seeded and finely diced
4 cloves garlic - minced
1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
3 TBS flour
2 cups homemade pumpkin puree
4 cups homemade chicken stock
3 tsp dried oregano
3 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp black pepper
2 bay leaves
13.5 oz can unsweetened coconut milk.
1 tsp lime juice
Fresh cilantro (optional) - garnish
1. In soup pot: brown sausages. Remove from pan and slice in fourths lengthways and dice.
2. Add olive oil to sausage grease. Sauté onion, jalapeño, and garlic. Add flour to make a roux.
3. Add spices, chicken stock and pumpkin.
4. Cover and simmer 25 minutes stirring occasionally
5. Remove bay leaves.
6. Blend soup with immersion blender.
7. Add sausage, coconut milk and lime juice.
8. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Adapted from Jan's sushi bar and A Spicy Perspective's recipes.