1/2 cup butter
1 medium onion - diced
1/2 cup flour
salt & pepper
2 cups milk (I used 2% or almond... both worked. I would think anything other than skim would be fine)
3 cups chicken stock (if using broth with sodium do not add salt above)
2 bay leaves
dash of ground nutmeg
1 large carrot - grated
16 oz frozen broccoli florets (I've used fresh florets but because broccoli is cooked slightly before it is frozen it is easier and faster to use frozen)
8 oz cheddar cheese - grated
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until translucent/tender.
- Whisk in flour and cook until golden brown (3-4 minutes).
- Gradually whisk in milk until smooth.
- Add chicken broth, nutmeg, salt, pepper, & bay leaves.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook uncovered 20 minutes.
- Add broccoli & carrot. Simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Puree with immersion blender. If you do not have an immersion blender this part gets dangerous and messy.
- Add cheese & whisk over medium heat until melted.